Saturday, September 1, 2012

'I need a Saviour with Cutting Shears!'

I have been thinking about Pastor Joel’s sermon of two weeks ago where he talked about how dumb sheep are.
This morning I awoke with a very strong image in my mind of a ram caught in the thicket. I am, of course, thinking of Abraham and Isaac on the Mount. As Abe and his son trudged up the mountain, Isaac asked, “Father, where is the lamb for the sacrifice?” Abraham replied,” The Lord will provide the Lamb for the burnt offering, My Son!” At the right time (Gal.4:4-5), the pair saw the ram caught in the thicket. The Lord provided the lamb for the sacrifice.

As I came to -- even before my morning coffee! -- I saw myself as that dumb sheep that had gotten caught in the thorns! Yes, I got there by my own devices. I ran away. I wandered off from the safety of the sheepfold and protection of the Shepherd. I placed myself in that situation. I was at fault. I am to blame for my situation. It was my sin that got me there. I am caught in a trap of my own making. I listened to and believed the Enemy’s lie. I fell, hook, line and sinker for his deception. It’s true, I was like that dumb sheep. I followed the crowd, went where every other dumb sheep has been before me, and will still end up going.

So, as I come out of the deep fog of a good night’s sleep, I am lying there, stuck with barbs in my fur and cannot move because, if I do, it will mean the barbs dig deeper and tear into my skin, and the pain will grow more intense. I am stuck, and I cannot free myself. I need a Saviour! I need a Shepherd armed with wire cutters! I need Him to rescue me. I need Him to tend my wounds, to salve my pain, to heal me. 

It is said that often the Shepherd will leave the lamb in the thorn bush until it stops struggling, and gives up trying to free itself in its own strength. Then, and only then, does the Shepherd come to free the stricken lamb. You would think that after being one of His sheep for more than 45 years that I would realize this! It is also said that the Shepherd will pour and rub oil into the wounds of the sheep’s skin to bring health, healing, reconciliation, restoration, and renewal.

We cannot save ourselves. When we get ourselves into a situation where we cannot extricate ourselves, we need to stop struggling and let Him save us. We need a Saviour to do the work of Salvation for us. We need a Saviour armed with powerful cutting shears to free us! We need a Saviour Who will rub oil in our wounds and heal our scars! Call on Him while He may be found!(Is.55:6).

I will still bear the wounds of my self-inflicted pain, but He will bring the Balm of Gilead, pour oil in my wounds, and heal my broken heart, mind, soul and body. My wounds will become trophies to remind me of His Grace. I will experience His Mercy. (Grace is getting what you haven’t earned; Mercy is not getting what you deserve). He will renew my spirit and put a new song in my mouth (Ps.40:3)! 

Thank God that He has done this in the Person and Work of Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary! He came after me!

PRAYER: I praise you Father, that you have not left me to my own devices, but that You took the initiative to come and rescue me (Rom.5:8). I acknowledge, confess, and repent of my sin (1 John 1:9). Please forgive me and renew a right spirit within me (Ps.51:10) and, when I am tempted to stray away again (Jam.1:14-15), please correct me with your Shepherd’s crook. (“Thy Rod and Staff, they Comfort me,” Ps.23:4). Amen.

Hebrews 12:11


No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment